What are the benefits of Nature School?
- Improves health (environmental, physical, emotional, mental)
- Develops of fine and gross motor skills
- Appreciation for nature
- Promotes safe risk-taking
- Encourages problem-solving skills
- Improves communication skills
- Creates engaged and passionate learners
- Motivates engaged and passionate educators
- Supports creative and imaginative thinking
- Empowers learners
- Boosts self-esteem
- Kindergarten Readiness
- Able to concentrate better
- Joy of Learning
Research supports the idea that young children, particularly ages 3-6, learn best through direct experiences with the world around them. In Nature School the outdoors provides them with not only the beauty and appreciation of nature,
but it encourages imaginative play, creativity, physical strength and respect for all living things. Children have an innate sense of wonder and will learn basic environmental and natural science through natural exploration and discovery. There are no set lesson plans per see, but each day provides, teachable moments by sorting and counting leafs, pine cones or other objects from nature, tracking animals, studying insects, birds, amphibians, changes of weather and foraging wild edibles.
What age and developmental level does my child need to be?
Children aged 3 to 6 may apply. Children must be able to follow directions carefully, show respect towards other children and their teachers, and be able to communicate effectively.
What type of clothing is appropriate?
Appropriate clothing for Nature School is CRITICAL to the success of the program. “There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing choices.”